Tuesday 20 January 2015

Victoria Walls: Junkanoo Experience

















The Junkanoo experience was one of the highlights of the overall trip. This festival was one of most energetic and colorful experiences that I have ever encountered. Prior to the festival I was unsure what to expect out of Junkanoo. There were a million questions that I wanted to know mainly how would I stay awake from 2am until 8am. Shortly into the festival I learned that it is almost impossible to sleep during the festival because it is so high energy the entire time you are there and you can’t help but to get up and start dancing. The music was one of the highlights for me because hearing live music just makes me want to dance and enjoy the atmosphere around you. Some of the costumes were also breath taking the combination of the colors and the size of the costumes was a unique opportunity to experience. One of my favorite groups was the Valley Boys, the costumes were so elaborate and bright and the large group with so many great musicians playing defiantly made them my favorite to watch. Junkanoo is a way to gain insight into the Bahamian culture. You are able to see first hand at Junkanoo how they celebrate their people and for the duration of the festival you feel fully immersed in the culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment