Saturday 24 January 2015

A Word of Advice: 7 Tips When Visiting Junkanoo

Some of the recommendations I am about to give can be applied to practically any international abroad experience. Others are more specific to the Junkanoo itself. Since I obviously am a fan of lists (see my other blog posts) I will outline some of the key recommendations I have for those visiting the Junkanoo festival in the Bahamas. 


1. Be open to new cultures and experiences. All of us are born into different contexts and so it is important to understand that everyone’s lives are different across the planet. Acknowledging these differences and understanding that neither is right or wrong is an important skill.
2. Safety is key. The Bahamas is a country with a lot of poverty and crime. However, living in DC – which also has these issues – I recommend taking the same precautions you would at any late night event, especially in unfamiliar territory. In the actual festival area, I never once felt unsafe. However, when I had to leave early (due to illness), I did feel a bit unsafe outside of the boundary of the festival and was happy I had a comrade with me when acquiring a taxi. Make sure you are aware at all times.
3. Get your tickets early (if you can). We had to wait in line for a while to get tickets at the actual event so if you are able, I would recommend getting tickets in advance.
4. Embrace the music. What is the point of going to a cultural festival where all of the music is performed live unless you embrace it and let it move you (in ways you might not usually move).
5. Put down your camera for a second. I love taking pictures and video, so I am guilty of this. But, sometimes it is best to just let the moment take hold and be present 100% without recording and documenting the experience. This will allow you to FULLY experience it.
6. Talk to people (especially the locals). Who else knows most about the Junkanoo experience than the actual Bahamian locals? Let them tell you about their experiences. Ask questions. Learn about the festival through the lens of a local and it will really enrich your experience.

7. SLEEP the day before. You do not want to be zombie during the festival so make sure to get plenty of rest before you go (I know…this is hard to do – you are in the Bahamas! – but it is totally worth it in the end).

~Jared Dial

No comments:

Post a Comment