Friday 23 January 2015

Veronica Buza: Junkanoo Experience




Hello peers, family, friends, and Bahamians! The Junkanoo was truly unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. Obviously, I am a college student and I’m used to late nights of dancing, music, and fun. However, attending an amazing cultural festival from 1:00 am until 8:00 am was certainly new. The Junkanoo was definitely the most interesting festival I have ever attended. Around 2:30 am, you could really feel the excitement and anticipation buzzing in your body. The costumes were awe-inspiring; it’s truly remarkable how each costume is constructed by hand using crepe paper, cardboard, and other craft supplies. My favorite costumes were those involving American football. As an American drummer, I loved seeing the goatskin drummers wearing football helmets. It brought together two things I really love. Furthermore, the music was phenomenal. All of the bands were cohesive and I could feel the drumbeats reverberate throughout my body. I admire those who played the cowbells – that certainly takes a ton of endurance and skill. My favorite groups were the Roots and The Valley Boys. It is so interesting to see how native Bahamians root for different groups, as Americans root for sports teams. I loved talking to native Bahamians around my seat and get a real feel for how important Junkanoo is to their culture. I’m not sure I could ever endure the full length of the festival, but I’m so glad I had the opportunity to appreciate this amazing cultural experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment