Saturday 31 January 2015

My Junkanoo Experience - Andres Arce

Its been exactly one month since Junkanoo, and there hasn't been a single day that I am not reminded of that incredible evening/morning.  Like most people, I had almost no knowledge of Junkanoo prior to preparing this trip.  Looking back, this lack of awareness proved beneficial as I came into the experience without any expectations or preconceptions.  This allowed me to take in the parade and absorb just what was in front of me without having to waste energy comparing it to similar events I have been to.  Truth is there is no comparison, what I experienced that night/morning is unlike anything else, something truly unique.




Its difficult to describe the experience in words .  The artistry alone was mind boggling. I'm not just talking about the physical construction of the costumes, which was incredible, but the imagery behind many of the costumes.  Sure, there was the frequent "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "NFL" theme (my personal favorite), but for every fun "entertainment" themed costumes, there were costumes that contained messages of peace, unity and the fight against injustice.  The Junkanoo festival gives the Bahamian people a stage to display their values, beliefs, and culture.  I cant begin to express how fortunate I was to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment