Saturday 24 January 2015

Experiential Learning: "What is Service Mapping?"

There are some things that just cannot be learned in a classroom setting. This is why I seek out as many experiential learning opportunities as possible. This is particularly true for the field of tourism, where the application of conceptual management theory is best applied to hands-on and engaging experiences. The Junkanoo short-term study abroad provided an excellent opportunity for this. There were three significant things that I learned while participating in this course:

1. Event Management:  What is Service Mapping? Well, if you want to know you should take this course J One of the most beneficial aspects of this study abroad was learning about the various ways in which event managers can analyze and understand the efficacy of the quality they are providing in their services. From mystery shopping to service mapping, there are many ways out there to better understand the visitor experience and determine if your business is successfully fulfilling these experiences. I am already applying this knowledge to my job in the museum events field, where I am working with my team to do such an analysis on our customers.

2. Teamwork: Many times we work with people we might not typically associate within our personal lives. Being able to successfully manage these relationships despite the diversity of ages and backgrounds is truly a remarkable feat. This short-term study abroad consisted of people from diverse backgrounds, ages, and disciplines, which made the experience both challenging and rewarding. Understanding compromise, patience, and your own faults is key to the success of these programs. I feel like this skill is an ongoing learning process that takes one’s whole life, although some learn faster than others.  I challenged myself in these areas on the trip as much as I could.


3. Public speaking: Being that I am 28 years old, I have been practicing public speaking for several years, although I continue to struggle with it. However, the presentation that we provided to the Junkanoo stakeholders provided an opportunity for me to practice these skills in a formal setting. This skill is very important to me. Being able to practice this in the capacity of a student is extremely helpful for my actual career. It might seem like an insignificant aspect of the study experience, but for me this was a very valuable skill that this course provided.

~Jared Dial

No comments:

Post a Comment